Travelers' checks or debit cards?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My first time abroad, I had $ 200 in cash in exchange travelers checks as a mountain guide who had not heard from American Express to pay. The bank pays me $ 8. During the trip itself, I received my debit card at an ATM for $ 200 from my bank account. When I got home, I saw that the charge was for the dollar, and that was the last time I used traveler's checks.

Debit and credit cards while traveling

I usually carry a debit card and a credit card, ifI'm driving. I think they are hidden in two different places. If they are stolen, which until now has never happened, have neither liability or fifty U.S. dollars to limit the liability for any unauthorized charges. Ask your bank or credit cards to do so.

If a cash machine (ATM) is one of the cards for some reason - and this will happen - I use the other card that works well in general. Credit cards may be less problems with debit cards. YourLiability could be zero on your stolen debit card, but have ordered, have no access to your account until the issue is out.

Of course, on longer trips it is a dispute over pay check credit card in time, not a problem with debit cards. Carry both, and longer trips you can wait until they are a couple of weeks to use at home on credit cards. So you get before making the statement.

An important advantage of credit and debit cards are more thanTraveler checks is that if you need local currency, you will probably get a better exchange rate with the cards. Moreover, the money is obtained from the local ATM really accepted around the world that even American Express Travelers checks can not promise.

I have nothing against American Express. Once, when I was robbed in Mexico, which quickly and curtiously replaced my traveler's checks stolen. So, sometimes it is appropriate to make money in various forms, including their wearing.But times change and ATMs are everywhere now, it's my policy: Travelers checks, you can take home with them. Alternatively you can use a credit card American Express.

0 comments:

Post a Comment